My Disability Matters Club
We, the owners and moderators of My Disability Matters, believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or what you believe, you should be able to belong in the My Disability Matters Club community, and be treated with respect and tolerance.
By joining this community, and participating in any way, you commit to treat all fellow members of this community, regardless of race, religion, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age, with respect, tolerance, empathy and without judgment or bias.
My Disability Matters Club’s Nondiscrimination Policy: Our Commitment to Inclusion and Respect
My Disability Matters Club is, at its essence, an open community dedicated to bringing the world’s disability community and its friends and supporters, closer together by fostering meaningful, shared experiences amongst people from all parts of the world. Our community will encompass millions of people from virtually every country on the globe. It is an incredibly diverse community, drawing together individuals of different cultures, values, and norms.
The My Disability Matters Club community is committed to building a world where people from every background feel welcome and respected.
This commitment rests on two foundational principles that apply both to My Disability Matters members and guests: inclusion and respect
Our shared commitment to these principles enables every member of our community to feel welcome on the My Disability Matters Club platform no matter who they are, where they come from, how they worship, or whom they love.
My Disability Matters recognises that some jurisdictions permit, or require, distinctions amongst individuals based on factors such as national origin, gender, marital status or sexual orientation, and we do not require members or guests to violate local laws or take actions that may subject them to legal liability.
While we do not believe that one company can mandate harmony amongst all people, we do believe that the My Disability Matters Club community can promote empathy and understanding across all cultures. We are all committed to doing everything we can to help eliminate all forms of unlawful bias, discrimination, and intolerance from our platform. We want to promote a culture within the My Disability Matters Club community where guests and people just considering whether to use our platform—that goes above and beyond mere compliance.
To that end, all of us, My Disability Matters employees, members and guests alike, agree to read and act in accordance with the following policy to strengthen our community and realise our mission of ensuring that everyone can belong, and feels welcome, anywhere.
- Inclusion – We welcome guests of all backgrounds with authentic respect and open minds. Joining My Disability Matters, as a personal or business member, means becoming part of a community of inclusion. Bias, prejudice, racism, and hatred have no place on our platform or in our community.
- While members are required to follow all applicable laws that prohibit discrimination based on such factors as race, religion, national origin, and others listed below, we commit to do more than comply with the minimum requirements established by law.
- Respect – We are respectful of each other in our interactions, discussions, posts and encounters. My Disability Matters appreciates that local laws and cultural norms vary around the world and expects members and guests to abide by local laws, and to engage with each other respectfully, even when views may not reflect their beliefs or upbringings. My Disability Matter’s members bring to our community an incredible diversity of background experiences, beliefs, and customs. By connecting people from different backgrounds, My Disability Matters fosters greater understanding and appreciation for the common characteristics shared by all human beings and undermines prejudice rooted in misconception, misinformation, or misunderstanding.
- My Disability Matters will not refuse a membership application based on: Race, Colour, Ethnicity, National Origin, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, or Marital Status
- My Disability Matters will not Impose any different terms or conditions based on race, colour, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
- My Disability Matters, its members and guests must not Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any member or guest on account of race, colour, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
What happens when a Member does not comply with our policies in this area?
If a particular profile or any activity or post on My Disability Matters Club platform contains language contrary to this nondiscrimination policy, the member will be asked to remove the language and affirm his or her understanding and intent to comply with this policy and its underlying principles in the future. Depending on the severity of the breach, and whether it is a first offence for that member, My Disability Matters may also, in its absolute and unfettered and unlimited discretion, take steps up to and including suspending or expelling the member from the My Disability Matters Club platform.
If a member improperly criticises, attacks or comments about another person or member, on the basis of protected class, or uses language demonstrating that his or her actions were motivated by factors prohibited by this policy, My Disability Matters will take steps to enforce this policy, up to and including suspending or expelling the member either temporarily or permanently from the platform.
As the My Disability Matters Club community grows, we will continue to ensure that My Disability Matter’s policies and practises align with our most important goal: To ensure that members and guests feel welcome and respected in all of their interactions using the My Disability Matters platform. The public, our community, and we ourselves, expect no less than this.
Acknowledgement: These terms and policy statements have been modelled on the excellent principles recently put forward by AirBnB here but tailored to the My Disability Matters Club.
For greater understanding of how you should act on the My Disability Matters Club and the respect and tolerance you should show to other members please review this excellent post giving examples of interacting respectfully online.