My Disability Matters Club

A day in my life

Day in my life 23rd Jan 2014

Alarm went off at 5.45am and personal support worker arrived at 6am to help me shower and dress

Had Taxi booked for 7.15am as heading to Melbourne for a TV appearance on the show “No Limits”

Ended up ringing the Geelong Taxi as by 7.20am as Taxi was late, by the time the Taxi turned up I got to the station with 5 minutes to spare, arrived at Southern Cross station at 8.50am, they had changed the line so had no idea how to get to the main area where I normally come out, the new line seemed to take you up to the first level, I thought oh well think I know the way, I did ask one of V/line people, and he just said outside the gate it will take you to Spencer St, when I go to the area their was only escalators or steps no good for me, going back notice Spencer Outlet so thought I would duck in there as had to go to the toilet, found the disabled toilets, nothing unusual, but the disabled toilets were locked a lady saw me trying to open the door, told her it was locked, said she would go get the manager.

When back to the station where I had come from, going back into the station and asking another V/Line person where the lifts were, he lead me to the lift as soon and I went down I knew where I was, thanks goodness I am an early bird as needed to be at RMIT TV in the city by 10am, with map in hand I was on my way.

I arrived at the studio at 9.35am so was asked to go straight to the makeup room to get ready for the show, I have been on TV in the newspapers but never been on a panel and had to get makeup and hair done I felt very special, we were asked to go into studio around 12.50pm I was a guest on the panel for the NDIS so I sat in to see how it all went until I was asked up, why so late in starting well they had to check on the lighten sound ect. Some of the mics they place on the 3 panel member had to be replaced. I was called up when they had an ad break, a mic was placed on me but again had to be changed as that didn’t work, after 6 mins of fame it was all over, but they did supply lunch. No Limits did 3 episodes on that day, I notice there was on before us and them when we were having lunch, there were another one they had to shoot, it was amazing I did know most of them, some not to talk to but knew of them.

Left the studio at 2pm decided to get to the station via Bourke St just because it was a different view.

Got to the station in plenty of time to catch the 3.20pm home, come in from the main entrance, found out the times of my train and the platform, grabbed a coffee and heading to the platform again couldn’t find platform 16 so asked the V/Line person he told me when the lift was allocated and to go to the first floor, but when I got to the lift it was out of order, I thought here we go again, seen another V/Line person told her that the lift that’s closest to us in not working, so she took me to another lift up there and you will see platform 16, when I getting on the train the V/line person said there was problems on the Werribee line and we might have to be coached, but lucky it was opened and arrived at the South Geelong station at 4.24pm motored home and arrived home around 5pm.

Asked Alex what he wanted for tea as was going to suggest to grab a cook chook as couldn’t be bothered cooking anything and I wasn’t that hungry suited me fine as I wasn’t over hungry so we just had a lean cuisine meal out of freezer, it’s always good for a stand by. Checked emails and opened mail.

We always watch the ABC news while eating dinner.

Personal support worker arrived at 7.30pm to do the night shift, she help me get my PJ’s on massage my legs and a quick tidy up, just before she leaves she always makes myself a cup of herbal tea, Alex a cup of coffee and Milly (our little dog) she get two smackos.

Nothing on TV so just email a few people and sorted out some changes to shifts so emailed my care provider.

Bed early well didn’t get to bed till around 10.30-11pm, as was on Facebook doing a Jigsaw and chatting, a bit of a time waster but I love it, it’s great to see family growing up when they live interstate.

Up early again tomorrow as it’s swimming for me I get picked up at 7.15am